The New Tottenham Singers are proud to offer four Jojo Choral Scholarships each year for new choristers, in memory of former chorister John ‘Jojo’ Sagoe (1960-2013), to commemorate his life and pay tribute to his proud contribution towards the choir during his lifetime.
The Jojo Choral Scholarships are open to singers of any voice (soprano, alto, tenor or bass) between the ages of 16-30, and from any social or ethnic background.
The scholars themselves should represent Jojo’s commitment to the choir in terms of attendance, and will be expected to reflect his love for the choir in terms of their positive attitude and contribution to the life of the organisation.
Scholarships are offered for one season, September-July, and the three choir terms per season are roughly in line with local school terms, with breaks for holiday at Easter, Summer and Christmas. Up to four scholarships for new choristers are available per season and existing scholars are welcome to reapply.
The qualities sought in prospective Jojo scholars are:
- Either an ability to read sheet music through traditional musical tuition, demonstrable ability to learn and retain melodic and harmonic musical lines by ear;
- A commitment to attend all weekly term-time Tuesday evening rehearsals, as well as occasional pre-arranged Saturday rehearsals, reasonable absences by arrangement with the Musical Director notwithstanding;
- An ability and willingness to support other members of the section during rehearsals and performances in addition to being a positive role model within the choir, both musically and in terms of attitude;
- The confidence and ability to hold the correct musical line, thus acting as a musical leader informally within the section where appropriate;
- Dedication to high-quality musical performance within a community and amateur context.
In return, the choir, its Directors and committee will:
- Waive all and any subscription fees for scholars;
- Provide all necessary sheet music free of charge;
- Cover all reasonable travel expenses for or provide transport to events and concerts on the rare occasions they occur outside of London;
- Cover all travel and accommodation costs or provide travel and accommodation for any concert tours or residential events within the UK or abroad;
- Provide the scholars with any educational advice or support they may require, and provide positive, supportive references or personal recommendations where appropriate.
Interested parties should write to Gemma Waring, who can also provide any further information required, at email@example.com by Friday 10th May 2019, outlining their experience and reasons for interest in the Jojo Sagoe Choral Scholarships, in addition to confirming their eligibility.
Successful applicants will primarily be asked to attend an audition on Saturday 18th May and then, if appropriate, be invited to a rehearsal with the choir on Tuesday 21st May or Tuesday 4th June before a scholarship offer is made. Should you be unable to attend the designated audition date you are still welcome to apply, however we cannot guarantee we can accommodate alternative arrangements.
To download a PDF with full details click here.